To help keep residents who live near Union Dike informed of the status of the levee’s rehabilitation, the Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District is providing a project timeline.
Union Dike is located on the east bank of the Platte River between Valley and Fremont, Nebraska. The US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and the Papio NRD are working together to repair 2019 flood-damaged areas caused by overtopping of the dike and high water along both sides of the dike.
The USACE is handling the following tasks:
- Prepare project repair plans
- Hire a contractor to complete the dike repairs
- Administer/inspect the repair work
The Papio NRD will provide soil for the repairs and reimburse the USACE 20% of the construction costs.
The tentative Union Dike project timeline is as follows:
- USACE advertise project for bids – March 12, 2020
- USACE open bids – March 26, 2020
- USACE give contractor Notice to Proceed – April 30, 2020
- Completion Date (120 days from Notice to Proceed) – August 28, 2020
It should be noted, the project schedule is contingent on receiving acceptable bids and suitable construction weather.