Over the next six months, segments of the Keystone Trail will be closing due to the rehabilitation of 21 stormwater pipes by the Papio NRD. These closures will occur at various times throughout the project, and most are expected to last between four to six weeks. Closings for individual locations will be provided prior to the closing (and updated in this post), but users should anticipate disruption through May 2023. The areas in which the trail will be impacted can be seen on this interactive map, a graphic here, and are listed below.
Little Papio Channel/Levee Culvert (Pipe) Project
The northern portion of the Keystone Trail, between Q and Fort Streets, runs along the Little Papio Creek. Within the Little Papio Creek, there are many corrugated metal pipes that carry local stormwater into the channel that are nearing the end of their design life. As part of our duty as the local sponsor, the Papio NRD must remove and replace or rehabilitate these pipes to maintain adequate stormwater drainage throughout the City of Omaha.
The Little Papio Channel/Levee Culvert (Pipe) Project, which began in November 2022, includes the rehabilitation of 21 stormwater pipes. The Papio NRD has taken every effort to focus on rehabilitation of these pipes to minimize construction timelines and impacts to the construction areas. Regardless of the selected method of repair, trail accessibility will be impacted due to this project.
Trail Areas Impacted
- Trail is closed to all trail users at 88th Street and Keystone Drive through Saturday, January 14 and will reopen to all trail users on Sunday, January 15. A suggested detour is to use the sidewalks on 88th Street and Keystone Trail between Boyd Street and West Maple Road.
- Trail is closed just north of Mercy Road at the pedestrian bridge across the Little Papio Creek south to Karen Park starting Monday, February 6. Trail will be closed through Tuesday, February 28 and will reopen to all trail users on Wednesday, March 1. There is no suggested detour for this trail closure.
- Starting on Monday, January 16 the trail will be closed from just south of Dodge Street to just east of S. 72nd Street through Friday, March 3 and will reopen to all trail users on Saturday, March 4. A suggested detour is to use the sidewalks along Dodge Street and S. 72nd Street.
- S 67th Street west side of Little Papio Creek – Closure required downstream of S 67th Street Bridge.
- Mercy Road west side of Little Papio Creek – Closure required north and south of Mercy Street Bridge. Trail access on the north side of Mercy Road will be limited.
- Pacific Street east side of Little Papio Creek – Closure required north of Pacific Street. Trail access on the north side of Pacific Street will be limited.
- Blondo Street east of Little Papio Creek – Closure required north and south of Blondo Street Bridge. Trail access on the south side of Blondo Street will be closed.
We appreciate your patience. We know how important the trail is to all its users.
For questions about this project, please contact the engineering Project Manager, Lindy Rogers, at LRogers@houstoneng.com.