The Papio-Missouri River Natural Resources District will open all river access sites to the Elkhorn River for the season on April 1st.
The Elkhorn River access sites include:
- Elkhorn Crossing (intersection of 252nd & Bennington Road)
- West Maple Road (West Maple Road northeast of Waterloo)
- Graske Crossing (southeast corner of West Dodge Road & west of 204th St.)
High river flows occasionally force the Papio NRD to temporarily close the river access sites for safety purposes. Park closures for Elkhorn River sites are called for when the Elkhorn River gauge at Waterloo reads a stage of 5 feet or greater. Also, river access ramps may need to be cleaned of silt, debris and safety inspected before reopening.
Status of the access sites – open or closed?
You can find out whether the access sites are open or closed throughout the season here:
- Orange “River Access Sites” button on papionrd.org homepage
- Our Facebook page and Twitter profile
- Media alerts
The access sites will be open from April 1 through November 1 from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.